Political Science has 71 majors and 10 minors, with interests spanning all levels and branches of US government and criss-crossing the globe. The department's diverse curriculum and faculty offer a supportive environment where students can explore their interest to the fullest.
Political Science majors are also active outside the classroom.
Last year's graduating senior class offers a representative sample:
- 55% of those graduates participated in Service Learning
- 59% participated in an undergraduate research or creative event/project
- 27% participated in Study Abroad while enrolled at UNC Asheville
Over the last five years, 50 Political Science majors have studied abroad in 19 different countries across Latin America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
Many of our graduates enter law school or graduate school.
The graduating class of 2010 provides many examples, including:
- Kasey Baker entered the Master's Program in Public Administration at Western Carolina University
- Carrie Chapman has been fully funded in the University of Colorado's Political Science PhD program
- Beth Doane has been accepted for graduate study at Florida State University's College of Criminology and Criminal Justice as well athe the College of Social Work (duel enrollment)
- Brian Fitzpatrick attends the Master's Program in International Politics at City University London
- Charity Franklin entered Law School at Wake Forest
- Ashley Goodson joined the Master's program in Historical Preservation at the Pratt Institute
- Frank Jones is a graduate student in the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill's TransAtlantic Masters program
- Harley Racer is in law school at Northeastern University